Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fat Like Me

I was watching a show on Lifetime last night called "Fat Like Me". I know what your thinking. Lifetime? Really? Yes, Lifetime. But in this movie this skinny, pretty, petite girl, Allison does a documentary on what it's like to be fat in today's society. She rents the 'fat' suit, gets someone to make a 'fat' mask, buys the 'fat' clothes, and makes 'fat' friends. Just so she can get the inside scoop on what it's like to be looked at differently.

In this movie, Allison's mom is overweight as well. Allison finally musters up the courage to talk with her mom about her concerns. First, she apologizes for all the years of making fun and ignoring her. She tells her how she has been made fun of for having a fat mom. How her mom never could run on the soccer field with her or wanted to take her swimming. She tells her that she never thought to think how she (the mom) felt. Then, she goes on to tell her how she feels that her mom has been selffish. How she has picked food over her health. How she has picked food over her kids. Umm...this has pulled some strings with me. Is that what I've been doing? Picking food over my kids? Why would I do that? I'm a good mom. But then I was thinking...that IS what I'm doing. Everytime I put something in my mouth, I'm picking that over my health and my kids. I'm slowing killing myself with Dr. Peppers, thin mint Girl Scout cookies, and chicken fried steak.

I've decided I'm going to try to do better for myself and my kids. I may still have my one Dr. Pepper a day, but that's it. Only one.

I know people say you shouldn't tell everyone you're dieting because then people will look at you everytime you put something in your mouth. But, people already look me. Why not have some accountablity? We'll see how it goes.

Happy eating!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Last summer I wanted to sit on the porch instead of running around with Nash. Not because I didn't want to play with him, but b/c I was overweight and would tire quickly. Not this summer! Don't beat yourself up girl and take it a day at a time. You have to retrain yourself and that takes time.