Sunday, October 19, 2008

Honor your father and mother

Okay, so God has spoken at me again. He has been doing a lot of that speaking at me and not really to me.


Today in church God did it again. He spoke at me. Sermon: Honor your father and mother.

My relationship with my mother-in-law is strained. Not really sure why, but it is. It has been for quite some time now. I have been having a power struggle with God lately about this. He's been telling me to let go and forgive, but the human girl in me is fighting for all I'm worth. But I followed my heart and invited her to lunch. Brent actually did the inviting. He called and she came. We had a great time. I made mexican casserole and we visited for about 2 hours then she made the 45 minute drive back home. My heart is a little lighter.

I'm telling you this is not going to become a regular event around here. Not yet anyway. But it was nice to sit and actually enjoy each other's company. I didn't do it for anyone but God and myself. I don't know the feeling some girls get to have when it comes to in-laws. But I am blessed with a wonderful husband who loves me and stands by me. Like I said, my heart is lighter.

Blessings to you all.

3 comments:

CP~ said...

well, those Adens are toughies ;) good job extending the olive branch, it is sooooo hard to do that. If I may, I think in-laws are super hard. I used to be VERY close to my mother in law and then all hell broke lose, so sadly, we aren't anymore. It makes me sad and we try to see her and do things with/for her, but the drama that comes along with it is exhausting. Hmmm, my mom is the same way too- I've always struggled with God's instructions to honor thy mother and they father. So I'm kind of a stinker and added: "which for me means I will love them but it doesn't mean I have to like them!"
Good luck! Thanks for sharing.
...and seriously, Adens are really tough ones, I'm not just saying that- they REALLY are!

EKWisdom said...

I have no idea what is like to have in-laws, but I know what you have dealt with in the past and I send you kudos for making an effort. Sometimes that is the hardest part, swallowing your pride and making an effort. Even if not for you, but for your kids. Good luck. I love you!

4rosies said...

Like I said in the post...I didn't do it for ANYONE, but myself and God.